This was originally published on April 19, 2011. This is firefighter’s week on the blog.
Hartford firefighters are silhouetted by the flames from the two alarm fire at the vacant Goodwin Mansion on Albany Ave in the January 1997. The fire severly destroyed the historical building.
The 22-room, three-story brick mansion on a hill overlooking Woodside Circle was built in 1903 by Walter L. Goodwin, a descendant of the prominent family that helped develop parts of Hartford. It was designed for Goodwin by architect Benjamin W. Morris, who also designed the Hartford armory.
Today the Asylum Ave property has been rehabbed into condos.
This photo was the cover for a book.